Juliette Kayyem and Sylvia Schenk join list of speakers at Securing Sport 2013
Doha, Qatar; 31st January 2013: The International Centre for Sport Security (ICSS) has announced that Juliette Kayyem, Lecturer in Public Policy at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government and national security and foreign policy columnist for the Boston Globe, will speak at Securing Sport 2013, the leading international sport security and integrity conference.
Taking place on March 18-19 in Doha, Securing Sport 2013 will bring together 400 international experts and stakeholders to share knowledge and best practice in sport, safety, security and integrity under the theme of “Advancing the security and integrity of sport to safeguard the future”.
Ms Kayyem has spent nearly 15 years in counterterrorism, homeland security and emergency management and most recently served for President Barack Obama as Assistant Secretary for Intergovernmental Affairs at the Department of Homeland Security. Ms Kayyem will speak on the conference panel entitled, Triple Threat! The Future of Sport Security and Technology.
Joining Ms Kayyem at the conference is Sylvia Schenk, Senior Advisor for Sport at Transparency International. Ms Schenk had a distinguished career as an Olympic athlete and is a former President of the German Cycling Federation (BDR) and member of the UCI Management Committee. Ms Schenk is also a current board member of the German Olympic Academy and an arbitrator at the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) in Lausanne.
Other high-profile speakers and leading figures already confirmed for this year’s conference include:
- Denis Oswald, President of the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations (ASOIF) and the International Rowing Federation (FISA)
- Hassan Al Thawadi, Secretary General of the Supreme Committee for the 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar™
- Gérard Houllier OBE, Head of Global Soccer, Red Bull
- Bill Bock, General Counsel, US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA)
- John Amaechi OBE, Managing Director, Amaechi Performance Systems
- Alexander Atamanenko, CEO, Donbass Arena, Donetsk
- Hein Verbruggen, President of SportAccord
- Lord Stevens, Chairman, ICSS Advisory Board and former Commissioner London’s Metropolitan Police
- Alessandro Del Piero, winner of the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™ and Chairman of the “Save the Dream” initiative
Mohammed Hanzab, President of the ICSS, said: “Juliette Kayyem and Sylvia Schenk are leaders in their fields. We are delighted that they have chosen to be a part of Securing Sport 2013 and share their expert views, insights and advice on sport security and integrity. I look forward to welcoming organisations from around the world, including international governing bodies, mega-event experts and world-class international athletes, for what I am sure will be an important platform for sharing information and exploring best practice in the field of sport, safety, security and integrity.”
Delegate passes for Securing Sport 2013 are selling quickly. To guarantee your place at Securing Sport 2013 and for further information, please visit http://www.securingsport.com/. If you are interested in becoming a partner, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +44 20 7224 4004.
Further speakers, panelists and events will be announced over the coming weeks.